- Vive touchpad and point to teleport/move around
- trigger button to shoot
- shoulder button to hold guns
Main issue you'll notice: When teleporting you might see the red dot instead of the green dot, you'll have to move backwards or forwards in actual physical place and then try teleporting again. You can see it sometimes happen in the demo video. There is a trigger collider about chest high and higher that interferes with the teleporting laser even though I did not allowed the 2 layers to collide together.
Another issue is you cannot pick up the paintball guns from the floor so do not drop them on the floor!
There are several differences between the final product and the proposed project. Below is a list of what is implemented.
- I was not able to implement a working movement script so to move around the world, the user must use the touchpad to point and teleport.
- Only 2 paintball guns were made:
- (right)Semi-automatic marker, 30 rounds
- (left)Sniper paintball gun, 10 rounds, scope, 1 second in-between shots
- Art Room: Both guns show full hopper at all times because they are modified to have 999,999 paintballs. A big white wall for user to paint on. There is no undos. There are white paintballs to "erase" with.
- Room 1: 40 targets that falls back when they're hit. Some move and some don't. There are 4 moving obstacles that block some of the targets. Player cannot teleport past a barrier. After all targets are hit, Room 2 is unlocked. There is a counter that the player can see their current progress.
- Room 2: Initially locked. Complete room 1 to unlock room 2. 40 targets but some flip between target and a side that they should not hit which is a white circle and a black 'X'. The left counter shows player's progress. The right counter is shown in red and shows how many times they've hit the wrong side.
- Stationary targets: brown base
- Mini stationary targets: brown base
- Moving targets: red base
- Flipping targets: yellow base
- Moving obstacle
All models and textures not mentioned below are made by me.
I plan on working alone for this project.
My project will be a first-person shooter paintball game. Like other fps games, player gets to move around in a 3D world. However, because this is a VR game, rather than keyboard controls or VR control pad or teleporting to move, player moves by stepping or leaning in the direction. Returning to the center of the room means stopped/stand still.
- move left
- not moving/stand still
- move right
- move forward
- not moving/stand still
- move right
There will be different target practice challenges and gets difficult each level. You can also paint with the paintballs but after a certain amount of paint splats, it will start deleting itself from the first splat.
The stretch goal is to make it multiplayer.
There will be 6 difficulty levels + a room specifically for painting with the virtual paintballs. Each room has a small room before it where a table with the paintball guns available for that specific room. It also serves as a loader so the game knows which room to "turn" on. Each room needs to be cleared before the next room opens up. Players can try to take it out of the room and bring it to the next but will be removed out of their hand when they leave the room. Exiting the room resets the room.
- A big room with various stationary targets at various distances, some move (at different paces and directions), some don't. But, player would not be able to move past a barrier so that they cannot cheat. Only a small part of the room is where the player can move around. Unlimited paintballs & no time restriction.
- Similar to room 1 but player has to hit certain amount of targets in a certain amount of time. Number of targets and time is to be determined. Unlimited paintballs.
- Similar to room 1. However, targets flip between "correct side" and "incorrect side". And player has to hit the correct side in order for the paintballs to register/count toward completing the level. Also, there are 2 different types of targets, a red and a blue target. Red targets are the targets to hit and blue targets are not. This level works on reaction time. Unlimited paintballs & no time restriction.
- Big open room with obstacles here and there. Some targets move back and forth, some don't. The targets are dumb bots but they all shoot back when they can see the player. So the player has to move around in this room and find the targets and hit all of them to advance. If player gets hit 2 times, it's game over and spawn back in the hall way. There are limited paintballs, the paintball refills will be around the waist area on a belt. No time restriction.
- Combination of rooms 1-3 but limited paintballs and a time restriction.
- Big open room with obstacles here and there. Targets/bots know where the player is even behind obstacles and actively moves towards player and shoot. If player gets hit 2 times, it's game over and spawn back in the hall way. There are limited paintballs. The paintball refills will be around the waist area on a belt. Limited refills.
- The art room will have a big giant white wall. You can change paintball color. The number of paintball splats increase a bit. There will be a clear canvas "button" and an undo "button" that undos the last x splats. Maybe I'll make it same as the number of splats that are on the canvas since there is no reason not to.
There will be 1-3 types of paintball guns. All the hoppers have a limited amount of paintballs that can fit. But, the hopper will be clear so the player can visually see how many paintballs are left. The paintball guns do not actually take from the hopper, the paintball gameobject just gets deleted when a paintball fires out. The player would have to physically do the motions to refill the hopper and they would be able to see the paintballs fall inside the hopper. When it's limited paintballs, the player still have to refill the hopper, they just have unlimited refills.
- Semi-automatic basic looking paintball gun
- Fully automatic basic looking paintball gun with some look differences to differentiate between semi-auto
- Sniper paintball gun, shoots paintball farther/falls later than the 2 above
This game is for the HTC VIVE.
I will use Unity, VRTK, and Unity A* Pathfinding plugin by Aron Granberg to develop the game.